Call for application: EUR ArChal Three PhD scholarships in archaeology
The Graduate School of Research EUR ArChal is launching an application call for three PhD scholarships, of three years’ duration, for the beginning of the 2021/2022 academic year.
The scholarship holders will enroll for their PhD at the archaeology doctoral school of the University of Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (ED 112, https://ed-archeologie.pantheonsorbonne.fr/ ). Joint supervision with another ArChal partner (see below) is highly recommended, and will be set up during the first year of the PhD.
Presenting the EUR ArChal in a few words
EUR ArChal is led by the University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne and partnered by seven academic institutions in France and in Europe. It aims to develop original teaching and research projects on archaeological methods and on research topics related to global challenges. Based on the diachronic analysis of strategies adopted in the past for adressing global challenges, the EUR ArChal will provide an entirely new knowledge framework on these questions. Its broad ambition is to build on our understanding of the past in order to develop sustainable strategies for facing future challenges.
The training and research programme focuses, on the one hand, on cutting-edge archaeological methods. It deals, on the other hand, with the following four major challenges:
1: Environment and climate change
2: Power and inequalities
3: Conflicts, mobility and migrations
4: Technologies and innovation
For more information on the EUR ArChal and its challenges, see the website Thématiques & défis – EUR ARCHAL (eur-archal.fr)
Who can apply ?
- Holders of a Master degree (French Master 2) in archeology from the University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne or one of its partner universities: FreieUniversität Berlin (Germany), Universidad Complutense Madrid (Spain), Alma Mater Studiorum -Università di Bologna (Italy), Institut national des langues et civilisations orientales – INALCO (France). Holders of a master degree from these institutions in cultural heritage, restoration-conservation or art history are also eligible.
- No age or nationality requirements.
How to apply ?
The application dossier will include the following documents:
- A curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages),
- A covering letter. Applicants are invited to show the contribution of their PhD project to the development of the EUR.
- A thesis project (maximum 15000 characters, spaces included) in French or in English. This project must be clearly related to one of the EUR’s four challenges.
- 4.A Summary of the master’s thesis (maximum 10000 characters, spaces included),
- A letter of support from the thesis supervisor accredited by the ED112 ( https://ed-archeologie.pantheonsorbonne.fr/enseignants-accredites-led-112). In the case of a co-supervision the letter of support of the co-supervisor must also be provided.
- A transcript of the Master 2 degree and, if available, the master thesis defense report.
- The application form completed and signed.
Submission and evaluation of applications
- The submission of applications: Send all the documents combined into a single PDF file: (via a file transfer service) to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday 4 October 2021, midnight. An acknowledgment of receipt will be sent, indicating the admissibility of the application.
- Pre-selection of candidates for an interview by an evaluation committee, composed of faculty members and researchers among ArChal partners and the ED 112 doctoral school. The results will be communicated to the applicants at the end of October, and those selected for an interview will receive a convening letter.
- Interviews will take place at the beginning of November 2021. The evaluation Committee will draft the final merit ranking list of the applicants; this list will finally be examined by the board of the ED 112.