Call for applications:
EUR ArChal Master certification (1st year)
Application deadline: Wed. 23rd November 2022
The Graduate School of Research EUR ArChal is launching an application call for Master training certification for the academic year 2022-2023. A maximum of 15 students will be selected.
Presenting the EUR ArChal in a few words
EUR ArChal is led by the University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne and partnered by seven academic institutions in France and in Europe. It aims to develop original teaching and research projects on archaeological methods and on research topics related to global challenges. Based on the diachronic analysis of strategies adopted in the past for addressing global challenges, the EUR ArChal will provide an entirely new knowledge framework on these questions. Its broad ambition is to build on our understanding of the past in order to develop sustainable strategies for facing future challenges.
The training and research programme focuses, on the one hand, on cutting-edge archaeological methods. It deals, on the other hand, with the following four major challenges:
- Environment and climate change
- Power and inequalities
- Conflicts, mobility and migrations
- Technologies and innovation
For more information on the EUR ArChal and its challenges, see the website http://eur-archal.fr/
EUR training and certification
Students already enrolled at the partner institutions will receive additional training to complement their first year Master degree: courses, workshops, hands on courses and summer schools.
This training will be scheduled as follows: online inauguration in December 2022 ; a week of intensive training in January 2023 in Paris (methods and challenge 1: Environment and climate change); a week of intensive training in May 2023 (methods and challenge 3: Conflicts, mobility and migrations). The detailed program will be provided in December. Mobility grants will enable students to participate in internships, in the Summer School or in the training courses provided by the partner institutions. Mobility grants will enable students from partner universities to participate in courses in Paris. Once the M1 training has been validated, the students will be able to continue training for the second year of their Master degree (academic year 2023-2024).
A specific EUR ArChal university diploma (DU) will be awarded by the University of Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne, specifically as a certificate of competence that will be added to the Master diploma awarded by each partner university.
Who can apply ?
- This programme concerns students already enrolled to their first year of Master degree in archaeology at Panthéon-Sorbonne or at the following partner universities:
FreieUniversität Berlin (Germany), Universidad Complutense Madrid (Spain), Alma Mater Studiorum -Università di Bologna (Italy), Institut national des langues et civilisations orientales – INALCO (France). Students from these institutions following a master degree in cultural heritage, restoration-conservation or art history are also eligible.
- A good level of English is required, as well as a listening comprehension of French, for foreign students.
- No age or nationality requirements.
How to apply?
The application dossier will include the following documents:
1. A curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages).
2. A covering letter. Candidates are invited to show the contribution of their master’s project to the development of the EUR and to present their specific motivations and interests regarding the themes developed by the EUR.
3. The academic transcript of the 3rd year university Degree (Licence/Bachelor)
4. The application form completed and signed.
Submission and evaluation of the applications
1. Submission of applications : Send all the documents combined into a single PDF file: ( via a file transfer service) to Haris.Procopiou@univ-paris1.fr no later than Wednesday 23 November 2022 , midnight. An acknowledgment will be sent indicating the admissibility of the application.
2. Applications will be examined by an evaluation committee. This committee is composed of faculty members and researchers of partner universities and institutions. The results will be communicated to the applicants in December.